Red 8Pre - The newest spin on Focusrite's best interface yet
There's never been a better Focusrite audio interface range than the Red Range. The second member of this acclaimed new series, the Red 8Pre features eight new, specially-developed 'Red Evolution' mic preamps with 'Air' transformer emulation, high-headroom instrument inputs, a new low-noise conversion design plus a grand total of 64 inputs and 64 outputs (including 16 analogue inputs and 18 analogue outputs), Red 8Pre incorporates dual Thunderbolt™ 2 ports for round-trip latency as low as 1.67ms, and direct connection to Pro Tools | HD systems. Add to that the ability to connect up to 32 additional inputs and outputs via Dante™ Ethernet-based audio networking and you have one of the most advanced, best-sounding, and most versatile interfaces available today.
- 64 inputs/64 outputs - inc 16-in /18-out analogue I/O.
- Eight Red Evolution mic pres with 'Air' transformer emulation
- Precision 24-bit/192kHz conversion, with up to 121dB dynamic range.
- 'Parallel path summing' conversion for lower noise
- Optimal combination of sound quality, noise floor, dynamic range and conversion latency.
- Perfect for high-resolution audio.
- Colour LCD displays and assignable controls for simple and quick operation.
- Both front panel and software control
- Dual Thunderbolt™ 2 ports for daisy-chaining
- Direct Pro Tools DigiLink™ connection
- Dante Network Audio enabled
- 1.67ms round-trip latency - record with plug-ins in real time
- Add up to 32 extra inputs and outputs via Ethernet
- Front-panel instrument inputs
- Focusrite Control Software and free plug-ins included
- Focusrite's best interface series yet
The eight digitally-controlled mic pres – which can be controlled from software or by using the clean, clear front panel controls and colour LCD displays – deliver clear, honest audio performance with –129 dB EIN and 63dB of gain, and include Focusrite's unique ‘Air’ effect, authentically recreating the sound of the transformer-based preamps in the classic ISA range - ideal for bringing out the breathy quality of a vocal or adding presence to an acoustic guitar.Red 8Pre's new high-performance conversion system features 'parallel path summing', where two matched converters are run in parallel to increase the signal to noise ratio. They operate at up to 24-bit, 192 kHz sampling - ideal for high-resolution audio - with a dynamic range of 118dB (A-D)/121dB (D-A). The Red 4Pre delivers ≤0.0009% THD+Noise and a frequency response flat from 20Hz to 35kHz ±0.25 dB.
Red 8Pre offers exceptional connectivity. Not only does the Red 8Pre deliver Thunderbolt 2 capability - with dual ports, so you can daisy-chain your hard drives or displays - and Focusrite’s lowest round-trip latency; it also includes dual DigiLink™ connectors for direct connection to Pro Tools | HD systems and Avid® interfaces. And in addition, Dante Ethernet-based audio networking - the studio interconnect of the future - is built-in. Add up to 32 extra inputs and outputs right where you need them, with any combination of Dante interface, including Focusrite's own RedNet range, for low latency and lower-cost expansion - wherever there's an Ethernet cable.
With its extensive capabilities and beautiful yet robust design, the Red 8Pre represents the perfect balance of form and function, delivering the sound quality, transparency and versatility that audio professionals across the world expect from Focusrite.
Expanded Feature Description:
- The pinnacle of interface design – The Red Range is Focusrite’s best interface series yet. The cleanest mic preamps, best-sounding converters and a build quality that harks back to the original Red series.
- Focusrite’s best conversion performance – Delivering precision-calibrated digital conversion at up to 24-bit/192kHz, with up to 121dB dynamic range, Red 8Pre's converters feature a 'parallel path summing' configuration to realise Focusrite’s quietest design to date, with an optimal combination of sound quality, noise floor, dynamic range and conversion latency. Exceptional performance makes Red 8Pre perfect for high-resolution audio.
- Eight Red Evolution Air-enabled mic pres – Provide up to 63dB of ultra-clean gain and offer individual phantom power, setting recall, stereo linking, HPF and polarity invert, plus Air mode, which provides an analogue emulation of Focusrite’s heritage ISA preamp characteristics.
- Clean, clear and elegant front panel – Colour LCD displays and assignable control knobs make the Red 8Pre simple and quick to use. Set levels and other parameters from the front panel as well as via software.
- Dual Thunderbolt™ 2 ports for daisy-chaining – With two Thunderbolt 2 ports, you can connect to the DAW of your choice whilst simultaneously connecting Thunderbolt devices such as hard drives and displays.
- Direct Pro Tools connection – In addition to Thunderbolt, the Red 8Pre offers standard dual DigiLink™ connectivity to Pro Tools | HD systems and existing Avid® interfaces.
- Dante Network Audio enabled – the Red 8Pre includes dual Ethernet ports for Dante™ audio-over-IP networking, allowing you to expand your studio via Ethernet with additional channels anywhere on your network, with low latency and lower cost. Add channels by connecting additional Red or other Dante-compatible components to the Ethernet ports.
- 1.67ms round-trip latency – Track with your preferred plug-ins and record virtual instruments in real time. Simplify your workflow: run a single mix on your DAW for both overdubbing and mixing, with your plug-ins in place, all the time. No need for cue mix utilities or outboard DSP.
- Expansion done right - add up to 32 extra inputs and outputs to the Red 8Pre - wherever there's an Ethernet connection. Dante lets you run additional channels over a greater distance, with lower latency and at lower cost, without wasting money on unused hardware.
- Front-panel instrument inputs – Provide easy access to high-headroom instrument connections even when rack-mounted.
- 64 inputs/64 outputs – including 16 analogue inputs and 18 analogue outputs.
- Software Included – Every Red 8Pre includes Focusrite Control software, allowing mic preamp control and the quick and intuitive set-up of mixes and monitors; the Red plug-in suite, which accurately models Focusrite's classic Red 2 and 3 EQ and compression; and Softube's Time and Tone bundle – a unique plug-in pack including four of Softube’s professional quality plug-ins: Drawmer S73 Intelligent Master Processor, TSAR-1R Reverb, Tube Delay and Saturation Knob.