ROLI Seabarod GRAND Stage
61-key Performance Instrument and Expressive Keyboard Controller
The Seaboard GRAND Stage from ROLI is a musical instrument that re-imagines the piano keyboard as a soft, continuous surface, expanding and placing the expression possibilities of the instrument at the artist's fingertips. Since the invention of the mechanical piano-style keyboard, performers have been forced to accept the velocity of a key strike as the end of that note's expressive potential.
With this instrument's keywave, a silicone rubber surface that covers sixty-one custom sensors, this interaction is merely the beginning. Intuitive gestures such as presses, bends and slides open new avenues to musical expression. Continuous touch enables the user to sound a note and then modulate volume and timbre through one continuous motion.
Adjusting pitch is as natural as it is on a stringed instrument. Slide a finger to the left to lower the pitch of a note; slide it to the right to raise it. The smooth feel of the playing surface allows for easily gliding from one keywave to the next, or for applying a natural vibrato to any note. Additionally, low-friction ribbons run along both the top and the bottom of the playing surface for performing other modulation gestures.
Equator is a software synthesizer included with the Seaboard GRAND Stage that forms a seamlessly integrated software /hardware workflow for producers, performers, and sound designers. A mix of wavetable oscillators, FM (Frequency Modulation), sample playback, multimode filters, and complex signal routing creates a powerful hybrid synthesis engine. Use different single-cycle waves for FM, layer with samples, send into several multi-mode filters with different configurations and outputs.
- Silicon rubber keywaves transcend the rigid mechanics of a traditional piano style keyboard
- Use intuitive strike, bend, and press gestures to control multiple parameters on each note, completely independently
- Tailor each gesture's response to individual playing style using customizable transfer curves
- Balanced stereo and headphone outputs for monitoring and direct recording
- Integrated software synthesizer
- Three wavetable oscillators
- Two sample playback modules
- Frequency Modulation (FM) for all oscillators
- Graphic or traditional dial-based envelopes with various modes like one-shot, loop, note-release or the traditional ADSR mode
- Two LFOs
- Flexible routing and filter types (including comb filters)
- Built-in effects including a 5-band parametric equalizer, stereo chorus, stereo delay and stereo reverb
- When connected to a Mac, Desktop Equator runs as an Audio Units or VST plug-in from within a DAW or as a standalone app, and is controlled via MIDI over USB
- Save presets directly to the Seaboard and play them without a computer